Monday, April 26, 2010

Saffron Harvest!







This year I am growing (and selling on the website!) Saffron Corms. They are beginning to flower now, so I am harvesting the stamens which are then dried and used in many exotic culinary delights.


I was so excited to notice the pretty little lilac coloured flowers yesterday, as they seemed to appear from no where. Today, there were more of them so I took my trusty tweezers outside and carefully picked the bright red stamens ready for drying. The strength of the scent from the threads is so strong for something so tiny and fragile. I am really keen to find a special recipe in which to try to do them justice!......



Aside from harvesting Saffron, we have been very busy preparing for Agfest which is next week already! Our plants are ready, signage and advertising is under control, gazebos have been ordered....bring it on!



Rhubarb is a favourite perennial plant of mine; and we have a few huge clumps in the garden which we use often for rhubarb pies, crumbles and bakes. Last week, the kids were harvesting a few stalks for a crumble dessert when they noticed a little green friend. This is, I think, a Green and Gold Frog which are endangered in Tasmania. We are so lucky to have it live in our garden, and it shows how healthy and artificial chemical free our vegie patch must be!

No comments:

Post a Comment